The Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan
is available to parents (biological parents, a stepparent listed on the FAFSA, or adoptive parents) of dependent undergraduate students to assist with education related expenses not covered by other financial aid the student has been offered.
How to Apply
- Complete the FAFSA
- Complete the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan application.
- Make sure to log in with the parent’s FSA ID, not the student’s FSA ID.
- To apply for a loan for the fall 2022 and/or spring 2023 semester(s), select 2022-2023 for the award year.
- Loan applications received with loan period August 2022-May 2023 will be split evenly between the fall and spring semesters.
- Complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN)
- Please allow 7-10 business days for the loan to be added to your student’s Financial Aid Offer (viewable on AccessPlus)
The earliest the loan can be disbursed is the Wednesday before the semester begins.
Deadline: There are several federal regulations that determine if and when the Office of Student Financial Aid can process a Federal Direct Loan. Families that need to use a Federal Direct Loan Parent PLUS Loan for the start of a semester should complete all steps listed above at least one month prior to the start of the semester to avoid delays.
- Borrowers have the option on the application to defer payment while the student is enrolled at least half-time (6 credits) as well as for 6 months after the student graduates or ceases to be enrolled at least half-time.
- Monthly payments begin 60 days after the loan is fully disbursed if deferment is not selected on the application.
- No penalty for early repayment
- Making interest payments while the student is enrolled is encouraged.
Qualified Borrowing Amounts
Parents may borrow up to the Cost of Attendance
minus any other financial aid.
- The student for whom the parent is borrowing must have a FAFSA on file
- The Direct Parent PLUS Loan is subject to a credit analysis. In the event of adverse credit, you will be presented with the following options to choose from.
- Appeal the credit decision with Federal Student Aid.
- Use an endorser (endorser must pass credit check)
- Not pursue the Parent PLUS Loan
- If you select this option we will automatically increase the student’s Federal Direct unsubsidized loan up to the amount an independent, undergraduate student can receive, or up to the PLUS Loan eligibility on the Financial Aid Offer, whichever is less.
- Maximum increase for freshman and sophomore is $2000/semester
- Maximum increase for junior and senior is $2500/semester
- If you select this option, your loan will not be processed until you contact us about pursuing one of the above options.