To Create an FSA ID
- Visit the Federal Student Aid Create a New FSA ID website
- Enter your log-in information
- Provide your e-mail address, a unique username, and password, and verify that you are at least 13 years old.
- Enter your personal information
- Provide your Social Security number, name, and date of birth.
- Include your mailing address, e-mail address, telephone number, and language preference.
- For security purposes, provide answers to five challenge questions.
- Submit your FSA ID information.
- Agree to the terms and conditions.
- Verify your e-mail address. (This is optional, but helpful. By verifying your e-mail address, you can use your e-mail address as your username when logging into certain ED websites. This verification also allows you to retrieve your username or reset your password without answering challenge questions.)
- Never share your FSA ID, it is your unique confidential login key.
- After creating the FSA ID, visit studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa , click either ‘Start A New FAFSA’ or ‘Login’, and follow prompts in order to e-sign your FAFSA.
- In order to apply for a FSA ID, a student or parent must have a valid Social Security Number (SSN). If you do not have a valid SSN, you may print off and sign a Signature Page from the FAFSA. You can either mail the signature page to Federal Student Aid processing at the address printed on the signature page, OR provide the original signed document to the Office of Student Financial Aid.
Retrieve a Forgotten FSA Username or PasswordIf you have forgotten your username or password, don’t worry. By going to the FSA ID website or any Federal Student Aid website with a login, you’ll find links that give you the option of retrieving your username and/or password through your verified e-mail address, verified phone number, or by successfully answering your challenge questions. You can also call the Federal Student Aid help desk at 1-800-433-3243 for further assistance in retrieving your login credentials.
A student may decide to print off a copy of the FAFSA signature page to sign and submit. The student and/or their parent can also sign electronically with a Department of Education FSA ID.
- Visit studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa .
- Click on ‘Start Here’ and follow login prompts.
- Click ‘Provide Signatures’.
- Follow instructions provided to either sign the FAFSA with a FSA ID , or print a signature page
- If you choose to ‘Print a Signature Page’:
Mail the page to the federal address listed on the signature page.