Students who file the FAFSA by December 1, indicate on the FAFSA that they are interested in receiving Work-Study funds, and demonstrate financial need through their FAFSA may be eligible for the College Work-Study Program.
- College Work-Study (CWS) subsidizes some student jobs with federal and institutional funds
- The employing department pays 40% of wages while the College Work-Study Program funds the remaining 60%. Departments that are determined by the Student Employment Center to qualify as community service are responsible for 25% with work-study covering 75%.
- CWS benefits both the employer and the student
- Employers only have to pay a portion of the CWS student’s payroll
- Students may credit their CWS income as financial aid to reduce their Student Contribution and increase their eligibility for future need-based aid
- Student eligibility for employment under CWS is based on financial need, as determined by the FAFSA
- Pay rates and job descriptions for CWS-funded positions are identical to those for similar positions not funded through CWS
- Students authorized for CWS receive preference in hiring, so it’s best to indicate interest in CWS when completing the FAFSA
- Students who are eligible for CWS will be notified of their eligibility on their Financial Aid Award
- Funds for CWS are limited, and not all students who are eligible can be placed on the program
- Students should begin their job search and arrange interviews as early as possible during the first week of the semester
- A great resource to find both CWS and non-CWS jobs is the Student Job Board
- Remember, many part-time jobs on-campus and in the Ames area are not funded through CWS, so CWS funds may be exhausted by the time a student finds a position