The Student Job Board is provided by the Student Employment Center (SEC) and offers a way for students to search for jobs that employers have posted. The positions posted on the job board are typically part-time, not internship based. Employers are not required to post on the Student Job Board.
Many students may be looking for work on-campus to reduce time spent in the Ames community due to COVID-19 concerns. The student job board is provided by the Student Employment Center and offers a way for students to search for jobs that employers have posted. It is the encouraged and common place for departments to advertise part-time student employee positions. The Student Job Board is recommended as a resource for incoming students during their orientation. There is no cost to departments to post their advertisements for positions.
Students can view jobs based on the category of position:
- Childcare – nanny, babysitter, child caregiver
- Clerical/Office/Administrative – front desk assistant, receptionist
- Construction/Maintenance/Labor/Agriculture – carpenter, lawn care, labor-intense positions
- Delivery/Transportation – supply delivery, ride-hail driver
- Education/Tutor – elementary tutor, music instructor
- Food Service/Restaurant – waiter, cook, host
- Graduate Assistant – positions exclusive to graduate students
- Graphic Art/Design/Media – photographer
- Health/Social Services – caregiver, support professional, health care
- Housekeeping/Custodial – janitor, cleaner, maid
- Information Technology/Web Design – web/software developer, computer technician
- Lab/Research – lab assistant
- Miscellaneous – unique positions not within the given categories
- Personal Services – companion/care giver, individual task management
- Sales/Retail – sales associate, customer service, retail cashier
- Security – private security
- Sports/Recreation – gym customer service, coach, fitness instructor
- Telecommunications/Telemarketing – call center
- Undergraduate Research Assistantship
- Veterinary Medicine & Animal Care – animal caretakers, animal custodial services
Job Board Resources for Employers
Post a Job on the Student Job Board
For interested employers, post a job on our student job board.
- Must be a local position (within about an hour drive of Ames)
- Must be part-time during the academic year, no full-me positions will be approved
- If directing students to apply online, link your application in the job skills/requirements area so it is easier for student to find
- On-Campus employers must post job advertisements through AccessPlus
- Off-Campus employers can use the job posting form
Tips for a Successful Job Posting:
The Student Job Board is ideal for part-time jobs in the community and surrounding area. For positions geared more toward full-time, post-graduation work or internships, a separate system called CyHire is used. CyHire is an online, career management system operated by Career Services at Iowa State. With this system, employers can post positions, schedule on-campus interviews and supply information that students may find useful when evaluating whether to apply for a particular position. Students can easily search the employment opportunities and apply to positions of interest. There are no fees associated with using the system.
Job Board Resources for Students
Welcome to the Student Job Board! While this job board is administered by the Office of Student Financial Aid, it is intended for all currently active students, regardless of work-study eligibility.
Here you will find jobs posted by Iowa State University departments, local businesses, and members of the community looking for student help. These jobs will be part time or seasonal and specifically intended for current Iowa State students who need employment in proximity to campus. New jobs are continually posted, so check back often!
How to Search Using the ISU Student Job Board
To find a job on the Student Job Board:
- Log in to AccessPlus.
- Click on ‘Student Job Board’.
- Under ‘View Jobs’ in the left menu, choose to view jobs
- By Area
- By Location
- By Category
- Recently Posted
- Click on the job name in the main window to view information including requirements, hours, pay rate, and application details.
Tips for Avoiding Employment Scams
As you search through available student jobs, please keep in mind that Iowa State University does not endorse these employers. The Office of Student Financial Aid cannot vouch for the validity or legitimacy for any of the jobs. This includes, but is not limited to wages, hours worked, working conditions or safety.
- Common sense goes a long way – if an employer asks you to do something you are not comfortable with, don’t do it. If a job seems too good to be true, be wary of the employer and do more research. Trust your instincts.
- You should not be asked to deposit a check or money order into your personal account, especially if asked to forward money to another individual or if the check has “extra” money.
- Job listings with language such as “money transfers” or “wiring funds” should be avoided. Scammers often ask to wire money using Western Union, MoneyGram, and similar services.
- Don’t apply for jobs that are randomly emailed to you.
- Your employer should not ask for your bank account, credit card, or other information over email or phone.
- Personal information, such as ID’s and Social Security numbers should only be given if you know how and by whom they will be used.