Borrowers that have multiple student loans may be able to combine them into one loan with a fixed interest rate based on the average of the interest rates on the loans being consolidated. If a borrower has a single loan servicer, consolidation is not necessary.
The following Federal loans are eligible for loan consolidation:
- Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans
- Federal Perkins Loans
- Previously Consolidated Federal Loans
- Federal Graduate or Parent PLUS Loans
- Federal Health Professional Loans (HPSL)
- Federal Disadvantage Student Loans
The following loans are ineligible for federal loan consolidation:
- Private/Alternative Student Loans
Private student loans may be refinanced but cannot be consolidated with any federal student loans through the federal loan consolidation process. Borrowers should contact their private lender for more information.
Federal student loans cannot be consolidated with Federal Parent PLUS Loans.
In order to consolidate federal education loans, complete the Direct Consolidation Loan Application.