Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant Program provides need-based financial aid packages to low-income students in the form of grants. Pell Grant funds may be used by students to cover any aspect of their expenses related to attending Iowa State University. Federal Pell Grants are direct grants awarded to students with financial need who have not received their first bachelor’s degree or who are enrolled in certain academic programs that lead to teacher certification or licensure. More information is available on the U.S. Department of Education Federal Pell Grant Program  website. The amount of Federal Pell Grant funds you may receive over your lifetime is limited by federal law to be equivalent to six years of Pell Grant funding. Since the maximum amount of Pell Grant funding you can receive each year is equal to 100%, the six-year equivalent is 600%. For more information on lifetime Pell Grant eligibility, visit the Federal Student Aid website .

Pell Eligible

‘Pell Eligible,’ as mentioned in the requirements of other grants, means that the applicant must meet the eligibility requirements of the Federal Pell Grant as determined by filing the FAFSA. For more information on Pell Grant eligibility, visit the Federal Student Aid website .

Annual Award

The maximum Federal Pell Grant award is $6,095 for the 2018–2019 award year. In certain situations, an eligible student can receive up to 150 percent of his or her scheduled Pell Grant award for an award year. For example, if you are eligible for a $2,000 Pell Grant for the award year, and are enrolled full-time for both the fall and spring semesters, you’ll likely receive $1,000 in the fall and $1,000 in the spring. However, under certain circumstances, you may be eligible to receive an additional $1,000 in the summer semester (resulting in your receiving 150% of your original award). You might hear this situation being referred to as “year-round Pell.”

Application Process

All eligible students will be considered for the Federal Pell Grant by filing the FAFSA.