Independent Appeals


The US Department of Education does not consider appeals to change dependency status. However, the ISU Director of Student Financial Aid may change the student’s status from Dependent to Independent if the circumstances justify doing so.

Typically, neither a student’s decision to deny financial assistance from their parents nor the parent’s decision to deny financial assistance to the student are considered valid reasons to change dependency status.

If the student believes their status should be independent for financial aid purposes, they may complete an Independent Appeal Form: