2023-24 tuition rates are pending final approval, June 13-14, Board of Regents, State of Iowa.
|Tuition & Fees||$29,261||$60,987
|Food & Housing||$10,018||$10,018|
|Books, Course Materials, Supplies, and Equipment||$1,091||$1,091
|Anticipated Personal Expenses||$3,660||$3,660|
|Total Expected Cost of Attendance||$44,030||$75,756|
The cost of attendance is an estimate of the costs of being enrolled for one year at Iowa State University. Students are assigned a financial aid budget based on their estimated cost of attendance, which is used to determine the maximum amount of financial aid needed. To help with understanding your cost of attendance, planning tools are available. Some of these tools can help you create budgets and lay out costs specific to your enrollment situation.
Students who register for the NAVLE may submit a cost of attendance adjustment form to have their Federal loan eligibility increased by the registration cost.
Students who attempt a preceptorship away from ISU may submit a preceptorship form and receipts for reimbursement of expenses paid after academic credit is earned for the preceptorship
When considering costs of attendance, please note:
- Total costs for attending Iowa State University may vary based on students’ lifestyles, majors, academic colleges, and academic progress
- Student tuition, fees, and charges for food & housing in university housing are set by the Iowa Board of Regents
- Food & Housing costs refer to the varied housing and dining choices made by the student; more information is available from the Department of Residence and ISU Dining
- Summer costs of attendance vary depending on each student’s situation — see Tuition and Fees for more information
- Juniors and seniors in some colleges are assessed tuition at a higher rate — see Tuition and Fees for more information
- All international students enrolled for 1 credit hour or more at Iowa State University are required to purchase the ISU Student & Scholar Medical Insurance Plan
- The Medical Insurance Plan cost IS NOT included in the International dollar amounts listed below
Cost of Attendance Explained
Tuition and Fees
These are the costs for your classes. The amount listed is based on full-time enrollment (12+ credits) and mandatory fees; this does not include any special course fees. Mandatory fees include a technology fee, activity fee, and health fee. Some majors may see a higher tuition cost. The higher cost assists with the cost of delivering those programs to ensure a high-quality educational experience.
Food and Housing
The amount listed is an estimate of your food and housing expenses; your actual costs may differ depending on your housing assignment and meal plan choice. If you are not living on-campus or do not have a meal plan through the university, you will not be charged for these items.
Books, Course Materials, Supplies, and Equipment
The amount listed is an estimate; your actual costs may differ each semester based on the classes you are taking. Only books and supplies purchased through the University Bookstore in the Memorial Union can be charged to your U-Bill.
Transportation and Personal Expenses
The amount listed is an estimate for your daily living expenses. This cost will not be charged to your U-bill, but you can use financial aid to cover your day-to-day costs if you choose. Daily living expenses may include laundry, a personal vehicle (parking on campus, gas, etc.), prescriptions, personal hygiene items, or other daily costs.