SNAP Benefit Information

SNAP Benefit Qualifications Expanded During National Emergency

As a result of the current national emergency, the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) has been expanded to include college students. College students who are enrolled on at least a half-time basis (six credits or greater), and who either have an expected family contribution (EFC) of $0 on their 20-21 FAFSA or who qualify for the federal College Work Study program may be eligible for SNAP benefits. Students who meet this criteria may apply for SNAP benefits at Iowa State University students currently residing in the State of Iowa should apply for benefits with the State of Iowa. You may be asked to show proof of residency, such as a rental agreement, as part of the application. This expanded eligibility will be in effect for 30 days after the end of the national emergency. Students residing in the state of Iowa can apply for SNAP benefits online at: If you would like help completing the application, you can contact your local DHS office. To show proof of $0 EFC or College Work Study eligibility, you may go to AccessPlus/Financial Aid/Financial Aid Offer. More information may be found at