Information for Study Abroad Students
Study Abroad students may also refer to the ISU Study Abroad Center to learn more about opportunities for financial aid.
All aid awarded for the regular semester at ISU can be used for study abroad with the exception of Work-Study and National Merit aid. For questions on using National Merit aid, please contact Jaclyn Tungesvik (515-294-1363 or email@example.com).
Fall and Spring Semesters:
- Students who already have a FAFSA on file for the current academic year, will have their financial aid automatically adjusted based on the class list and program cost provided by the program coordinator. An appointment is not necessary for this adjustment to be made.
Program costs include:
- Round-trip Transportation
- Program fee, if applicable
- Tuition and Fees
- Room and Board
- Books and Supplies
- Student I.D. Card
- Visa and Mailing Cost
- Passport and Mailing Cost
- Study abroad programs with a total budget that is greater than the cost of attendance of Iowa State University will have loan eligibility increased to meet this new budget for that semester. Likewise programs with lower a cost of attendance will have aid reduced.
- Financial aid for fall programs will be adjusted in mid-June; aid for spring programs will be adjusted in mid-November. An email will be sent to each student after aid has been adjusted. Students will be directed to AccessPlus to view increased loan eligibility and an application will need to be completed to receive the additional loan amount.
- In late April, students who have a FAFSA on file for the previous academic year will automatically have aid packaged for their study abroad program based on cost of program (see above) and the class list.
- Summer aid is primarily comprised of student loans. Stafford loans will be awarded first, followed by PLUS and/or private loan eligibility. An email will be sent to each student after aid has been packaged for summer and applications will need to be completed to receive the PLUS and/or private loans.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.