Skip to Navigation

Independent Students

For information regarding how to determine dependency (as defined by the FAFSA), please see the FAFSA Dependency page.

Applying for Financial Aid

To apply for financial aid, independent students must complete the FAFSA. Independent students complete this document in the same way that younger students do; however, the following points should be kept in mind:

  • Student must be enrolled at least half-time to receive most forms of student financial aid
  • If the student feels that the FAFSA does not accurately portray their financial situation, they should complete and submit a Special Conditions form of the applicable year after March 1. This form allows the Office of Student Financial Aid to appropriately re-assess the student's need for assistance during the coming year

Frequently Asked Questions

See a list of frequently asked questions about independent students.