Scholarship Thank You Letter Writing Tips
Nothing is appreciated more than a kind letter of thanks! Many Iowa State University scholarships are supported by generous donors who care about students and education. These donors appreciate interaction with current scholarship recipients. With that in mind, these tips are to help guide you through the thank you letter process.
The funds you receive come from real people who have given their own assets to assist you and other students. Writing a thank you letter to a benefactor will let them know that you appreciate their generosity and will make them feel good about the support they are providing.
- Refer to the scholarship by its name as shown in your award letter
Tell the donor about yourself. Items may include:
- Where you are from
- Year of study (junior, graduate, etc.)
- Why you chose ISU
- Organizational involvement
- Professional affiliations
- How the scholarship has helped you (Do not mention the amount of your scholarship award)
- Future plans
- Thank the donor for their generosity in providing the scholarship and tell the donor how their support has made a difference to your education
- Please proof your letter! Make sure it is grammatically correct and well organized. You are not only representing yourself, but Iowa State University
- Be sure you have provided your return address and email address in case the donor would like to contact you
- Please limit your letter to one page, but do not be too brief
A well-written letter reflects favorably on you and is important to the scholarship donors who appreciate learning about you, your goals, and future plans.