Federal Direct Graduate and Veterinary Medicine PLUS Loan
Graduate and Professional (including Veterinary Medicine) students may borrow a Federal Direct Graduate and Veterinary Medicine PLUS Loan to help pay for their education. The loan is used to cover education expenses not already covered by their financial aid award, up to the cost of attendance.
How to Apply
- Step 1 of 3: Complete Federal Direct PLUS Loan Application at www.studentloans.gov
Once signed in, select “Request a Direct PLUS Loan” then select and follow the instructions for the “Graduate PLUS”
- Step 2 of 3: Complete Federal Direct PLUS Loan Entrance Counseling at www.studentloans.gov
Once signed in, select “Complete Counseling” then select “Start” under the “Entrance Counseling” header and follow the instructions selecting “I am completing entrance counseling to receive Direct Loans as a graduate or professional student” at the bottom of the page
- Step 3 of 3: Complete a Federal Direct PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) at www.studentloans.gov
Once signed in, select “Complete Master Promissory Note” then select and follow the instructions for the “Graduate PLUS”
Qualified Borrowing Amounts
The student may borrow up to the amount of the Cost of Attendance minus any other financial aid.
- The student must complete a FAFSA to apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan
- The student must borrow the maximum amount for the year from their Unsubsidized Stafford Loan before they can receive a Graduate PLUS Loan
- The Direct Graduate PLUS Loan is subject to a credit analysis. In the event of adverse credit, the borrower may obtain a credit worthy endorser to receive the loan or appeal the credit decision. PLUS Loan Counseling (available on studentloans.gov) is required if you choose to seek an endorser or appeal the credit decision. You must complete both Direct PLUS Loan Entrance Counseling and PLUS Loan Counseling if you are a first time borrower using an endorser. If you use an endorser, you must complete a new Master Promissory Note each time you borrow a Direct Graduate PLUS Loan
Repayment begins six months after the student ceases to be enrolled at least half-time. View interest rates and origination fees for more information on the fees associated with this loan