Loan Consolidation Information
Loan consolidation involves combining several student loans or parent loans into one single loan held by one loan servicer
If a borrower has a single loan servicer, consolidation is not necessary.
The following loans are eligible for loan consolidation:
- Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans
- Federal Perkins Loans
- Previously Consolidated Federal Loans
- Federal Graduate or Parent PLUS Loans
- Federal Health Professional Loans (HPSL)
- Federal Disadvantage Student Loans
The following loans are ineligible for consolidation:
- Private/Alternative Student Loans
Private student loans may be refinanced but cannot be consolidated with any federal student loans through the federal loan consolidation process. Borrowers should contact their private lender for more information.
Federal student loans cannot be consolidated with federal parent loans.
In order to consolidate federal education loans, visit www.studentloans.gov to begin the application process.