Important Information for Student Loan Borrowers
- As a student loan borrower, be aware of your rights and responsibilities.
- Be a responsible borrower. If you have borrowed more money than you need for the semester, you can always return it. There are no penalties for early repayment.
- Know your allotted grace period for each loan. If you go below half time status or withdraw from school, you will enter your grace period. If your grace period elapses and you are not enrolled, you will begin your repayment period.
- Pay off accruing interest to avoid interest capitalization when entering repayment.
- Avoid defaulting on your student loan. If you have trouble making monthly payments, contact your student loan provider or school for help and information.
Federal Direct Stafford Loan
The Federal Direct Stafford Loan is a student loan provided by the US Department of Education and administered by Iowa State University.
Federal Direct PLUS Loan
The Federal Direct PLUS Loan is available for parents of a dependent student to cover educational costs not already covered by the student's financial aid package.
Federal Perkins Loan
The Federal Perkins Loan is a student loan administered by Iowa State University and drawn from a pool of limited federal funds. The Perkins Loan is awarded on the basis of exceptional financial need.
Federal Health Professions Loan
The Federal Health and Professions Loan is a student loan available to students enrolled in the College of Veterinary Medicine.
Federal Direct Graduate and Veterinary Medicine PLUS Loan
The Federal Direct Graduate and Veterinary Medicine PLUS Loan is open to Graduate and Professional Students (including Veterinary Medicine).
Private loans are offered by private lenders with no federal forms to complete. Eligibility for private student loans often depends on the applicant's credit score.
Features & Services
A number of features and services are available to provide assistance managing your loans.