Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant
About the TEACH Grant
The Federal TEACH Grant is a grant available to undergraduate students pursuing a first bachelor’s degree and graduate students who are pursuing a degree to teach in a shortage area. The grant will convert to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan if the student does not meet the requirements of their Agreement to Serve.
TEACH Grant Qualifications
The TEACH Grant will convert to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized
Stafford Loan if the student does not fulfill the following requirements:
- Teach for four out of the eight consecutive years after completion of the program AND
- Teach in a subject field classified as high need AND
- Teach in a school designated as Title I
Student must meet one of the following academic qualifications
- Have and maintain a cumulative 3.25 GPA
- Have scored in the 75th percentile or better on any one battery of an admissions exam
- Be a current, certified teacher pursuing a master’s degree
Shortage areas include:
- Bilingual Education and English Language Acquisition
- Foreign Language
- Reading Specialists
- Special Education
- Other teacher shortage areas identified by the state in which the student will teach at the time they receive the grant
- Students can review a list of schools designated as Title I by visiting www.tcli.ed.gov
- All first time TEACH Grant recipients at Iowa State University must meet with a financial aid advisor before being awarded the grant.
- All TEACH Grant recipients at Iowa State University must complete an application request on an annual basis as well as completing an annual Agreement to Serve with the US Department of Education.
- If you are a first time TEACH Grant recipient at Iowa State University, please contact the office at 515-294-2223 or email@example.com to schedule an appointment to review your eligibility.
- If you need to renew your TEACH Grant, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a renewal application.
- Visit www.teach-ats.ed.gov to complete an Agreement to Serve and counseling.
- Undergraduate students cannot receive more than $16,000 in the TEACH Grant program.
- Graduate students cannot receive more than $8,000 in the TEACH Grant program.
- Grants disbursed after October 1, 2013 will be awarded at a maximum annual amount of $3,964, due to federal sequestration.
- Grants disbursed between March 1, 2013 and September 30, 2013 were awarded at a maximum annual amount of $3,760, due to federal sequestration.
- Grants disbursed before March 1, 2013, were awarded at a maximum annual amount of $4,000.