Student Aid Report (SAR)
After filing the FAFSA, a Student Aid Report (SAR) is sent to the student by email if an email address is provided on the FAFSA, or by postal mail if no email address was provided. This report contains a figure known as the Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which determines the student's financial need.
Retrieving the SAR
The SAR may be available within 24 hours after electronically filing the FAFSA and e-signing with a Department of Education PIN, or within 2-3 weeks after signing and mailing a paper signature page available from the FAFSA website.
- Visit http://www.fafsa.gov/
- Click on "Login"
- Follow the prompts, this will take you to a welcome screen where you can select the intended FAFSA year
- Select "View Processed Information"
- Enter the student PIN
- Select the most recent Transaction#
- Select Print Summary from the left hand menu bar; choose HTML or PDF to view/print the SAR
Approximately 2-3 weeks after the paper FAFSA has been signed and mailed, the Student Aid Report will be mailed to the student.