Thank you for agreeing to have an AR/AC Tutor in your classroom! The primary goal of the Iowa State University America Reads/America Counts program is to provide support for students' reading and mathematical capabilities. Before you get started:
You Should Know That Your AR/AC Tutor:
- Was subject to a Sex Offender Registry check
- Has been interviewed by the AR/AC staff
- May not be an education major
- Participated in AR/AC training sessions
- Arrives with much enthusiasm, many talents, and is eager to work with the children
We Encourage You To:
- Take time to get to know your AR/AC Tutor (it may be helpful to exchange phone numbers or e-mail addresses)
- Create a game plan with which both of you are comfortable
- Discuss classroom rules
- Designate a place for the AR/AC Tutor to place their belongings
Role Of The AR/AC Tutor:
An AR/AC Tutor is usually not experienced with teaching children. They can help you by working with individual children one-on-one, or in small groups. Your ISU tutor is willing and able, but may need guidance.
Your AR/AC Tutor Can:
- Lead small group tutoring sessions
- Conduct one-on-one tutoring
- Offer encouragement
- Share information pertaining to students' welfare, i.e. academic and social progress
Ongoing training and reflection sessions provide AR/AC tutors with additional tutoring strategies in reading and mathematics, as well as an opportunity to discuss challenges and successes. We encourage you to let the AR/AC Program Coordinator know of any training, subject areas, or workshops which you feel would be helpful to you and/or your AR/AC tutor.
See the Official ISU Academic Calendar for information.
*** Working fall break, spring break, dead week, and finals week is optional. It must be cleared through tutor schools and the AR/AC office.
One Final Note:
An important factor in the success of the ISU America Reads/America Counts Program is to promote a positive and productive teacher-tutor working relationship. If you have any questions of concerns about the performance of your AR/AC tutor, the staff will be happy to discuss the situation and, if necessary, make staffing changes to your classroom.
See a list of participating schools.